The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson

The Secret CountessThe Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Nothing is more depressing then the dreaded "Reader Slump" that not even your favorite authors can pull you out of. That was me, just floating along after reading back to back amazing books, everything just sorta fell flat for me. That is by chance I stumbled on A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson. Taking place in a period I'm not very fond of (early 1900's) I was a tad leery of taking a chance. I'm so thankful that I did.
Ibbotson writes magic in her pages. True whimsical, nostalgic magic in each word and description from the riches of palaces to the humble kitchens. There was true magic in each page and characters.

Young Countess Anna has lost alot in her young life, from her beloved father, her home, but she hasn't lost her faith in her family and love. Anna is the tree that may bend but doesn't break as she take a job working as a maid in a old home. She has her own troubles to work with but it's her gentle strength and huge amount of kindness that keeps her shining like a bright star.

It's this kindness that helps the new Earl of Westerholme, Rupert as he return from war, suddenly engaged to a hidden shrew. Rupert feels are truly conflict as he starts to discover what his fiancée is all about and not being able to be with the Anna.

Now there is some misunderstandings, and unneeded (IMO) tension but this time it didn't bother me one bit. What did bother me was the thinking of some people at the time that turned my stomach. Was it historical accurate? Yes, sadly. But how can we not learn if not from the past and the wrongs done by and to others. History isn't there for us to become bored with in the classroom or take bits and pieces from, but to show us the bad so we can change it for good.


Ibbostson wonderful storytelling broke this reader's slump and yet brought a touch of magic that I won't soon forget.




View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Girl Against the Universe

Review: Gardenia

Review: A Gathering of Ravens