A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1) by Connie Archer

A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)A Spoonful of Murder by Connie Archer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm not big on cozies that center around food. Maybe because the author tends to focus alot on the food? Maybe because I get hungry reading about all the said food?
Either way I went into reading this not all hopeful. Connie Archer hooked me into the story and didn't let go! Everything was written with just the right amount to keep the reader page turning.

Lucky Jamieson is at a hard cross road in her life. Her parents tragic deaths has left her to pick up the pieces and taking over their Mom and Pop restaurant By the Spoonful. Not knowing what is right for her and her grandfather Jack, Lucky is trying to see where life is taking her when a sudden murder, with the body being found behind Spoonful and her chef being the chief suspect forces Lucky into a the investigation that has a few hard changes in store for her and others.

I really loved how Archer made the restaurant the center of the small town and the book. The "to be at place" with it's regular customers and crew made you have a homey cozy feel that only skimmed about the food and didn't go into great detail (TYG!)

I really liked Lucky, she's going through alot and trying to build anew. She sometimes jumps the gun, but she follows the clues as best as she can and sometimes she guesses wrong and she sometimes she gets it right on. I think she does an great job trying to juggle everything that has landed in her lap and keeping a good head on her shoulders.
She also trying to take care of her grandfather Jack, who is a character, scene stealer in himself. In the end it's Jack that is her partner it many of her clue searching!

Now I am a big romantic at heart, and adore my cozy to have some romance and this didn't disappoint with a great May-Decemeber romance that does get some hard hits, I do think is made stronger from it and looking forward to seeing it grow.

The mystery was very strong with a few dead ends and some great surprises. I did feel the revel was on the sad side when everything was finally laid out on the table. In the end though it did end on a happy and hopeful note.

I greatly enjoyed this debut and can't wait to read more from this series and the author!






View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Girl Against the Universe

Review: A Gathering of Ravens

Review: Gardenia