Hearse and Buggy (An Amish Mystery, #1) by Laura Bradford

Hearse and Buggy (An Amish Mystery, #1)Hearse and Buggy by Laura Bradford

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Huge fan of Laura Bradford's other alias ,Elizabeth Lynn Casey,
A Southern Sewing Circle. I quickly grabbed a copy of her newest cozy mystery series. Bardford has a gift of creating characters and places that are heart warming and not flashy.

Claire Weatherly has left the fast lane for the quiet life Heavenly, Pennsylvania in Amish country along with her aunt who runs a bed and breakfast. Clarie runs a small shop 'Heavenly Treasures' that showcases the art of Amish and help her make friends with the local Amish families.

When the ex-owner of Heavenly Treasures shows up dead, all clues point to a young Amish man. Claire is the go between the Amish and the returned Detective Jakob Fisher who left his Amish upbringing to become a cop as his former community will not speak to him at all. Between the duo, clues start to add up along with old scars starting to heal.

Bradford won me over with her portrayal of the Amish. She showed all sides to the story from workings to those who have been shunned. With no black and white, but plenty of gray in between. In addition it shows Clarie's own struggle with her new life and her feelings between Jakob and a Amish widower Benjamin. While I dislike love triangles, Bradford played it off nicely with Clarie bringing to light her own fears and emotions.

The mystery lacked a great punch with a ho-hum build up and a almost glance over whodunit in the end. I think the foundation and builds of the town and the characters overshadowed the mystery, and if I didn't love both I would have dropped a star but, I loved Clarie, Jakob and the rest of the cast I wasn't to disappointed.

A great debut with a strong foundation that can only grow from there!





View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Girl Against the Universe

Review: These Vicious Masks