Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I truly fell hard for the world Lain Taylor built in The Daughter of Smoke and Bone, she continues somewhat in this vein in Days of Blood and Starlight with the effects the neverending war has on not just our main characters but on innocents in the crosshairs.

At times the book was pretty hard to read, so be sure to have a few tissues close at hand, we see Karou still coming to grips with the past and now the present with the hot betrayal of Akiva across her heart. Karou grows from the innocent art student to an harden warrior faced with trying to save her race. It pushes to the very brink and yet she still keeps on going, fighting, trying to live up and believe in what her mentor Brimstone believed in.

This is where I felt Taylor kinda lost me. I adored viewing the world from Karou's eyes and her emotions and also enjoyed the glimpses of Akiva and others. I just wish she didn't skip so much between POVs of other characters so much. It's nice one or two times, not so many that I felt I sorta became detached from the characters and their plight and felt more of an outsider then one who was in the thick of the action. Not that it wasn't heartbreaking to see the ravages of war but with so much going on at one time it became sorta lost that strong emotional gut punch I felt in DOSAB.

This series is still so incredible and all the small details LT put into her world building is still so amazing that while this is a middle book, I still haven't given up on this series yet.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Girl Against the Universe

Review: Gardenia

Review: A Gathering of Ravens